Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Spinning and Hokie Pride

First, I love spinning, but yes, I still suck and have a long way to go to become proficient.
Darcy, who taught me, said that for a first attempt, I'm doing great, but then I look at her yarns and I am absolutely in awe. I know she's been spinning for 10 years, but still, her yarns and the things she's made with them are really freakin' inspiring. Check back with me in 10 years and I'll let you know how I'm doing then.

Now, for a bit of proof that I can be a bit of a Hokie football nutter. I never used to like football, but somehow the Hokies have gotten into my blood. Their wins can cheer me up for a week and their losses, especially the close ones, can leave me devastated. My mother, a non-football person, is convinced that this is evidence that part of my brain has gone bad. I'm ok with that.

A few months ago, when the Hokies lost to BC with 11 seconds left in the game, I and the rest of the fans in B'burg were in shock. Like any slightly crazy fan, I felt a little responsible for not doing all I could by holding my stuffed Hokie bird in my lap or cheering hard enough from my living room (They can hear me through the TV, can't they?)

So when the Hokies got their rematch with BC and the chance for the ACC title, I was prepared. Despite having to pack and clean for the move, I watched the game with my Hokie bird
and began to knit Yarn Harlot's Unoriginal Hat with some great orange and maroon yarn I've been saving.
I changed the pattern a bit to make it bigger. I added 8 stitches/row (2/repeat) by adding an extra purl stitch between each of the cable elements. It's a little short so next time I would also add a 1/2 cable repeat at the top, about 7 more rows, but I love it. Next time I want to try the yarn suggested in the pattern, Blue Moon Fiber Arts Leticia because it looks beautiful.

Anyways, it was a freakin' amazing game and we won, we won, WE WON!. Now I can't really take the credit because the team really played great while I sat here on the couch, BUT, maybe, just maybe, my effort added some good juju.

Because of that win, the Hokies are playing the Orange Bowl on January 3rd and I'll be in Puerto Rico with Mark and my parents. Damn skippy, I'm bringing my new Hokie hat and my bird who I think I will name Horton the Hokie, cuz if I don't and we lose, I'll feel responsible. I may even bring some more Hokie-colored yarn with me for good measure.

As an aside, yes, I haven't been talking about my move because I am in complete denial. The moving trucks arrive next Tuesday (in 6 days) so I'll talk more about it when it happens. I am excited about the new house.

1 comment:

  1. Give yourself some credit Woman! I'll have to post up some pics of my first yarn--you truly have no idea how far you've come in such a short time. I love that I met you, and hate that it was for such a short time. Please keep me in mind whenever you are in town -- the Easy Chair is always open to us :)

    Darcy

    ReplyDelete